Tuesday 28 February 2012

Deaf culture is on its path to destruction.

Mind you if you want to criticize my grammars then so be it but please bear with me. Yes, I have been struggled to write grammar properly. It seems to that I understand more of vocabularies than it is with grammars.  This is where I will stand that I do admit that therefore no need for somebody took this advantage and belittle me.  LOL.

After recently incident after what those extremist or big D had achieved, I feel that I am being prompted to write another blog because I noticed that those particular people who tend to think they are right. I really have no problem with that but yet they do need to understand one other’s perspectives. Often from what I understand that most of those extremist or big D would get angry and fire back with personal attacks like what Adrian Mack did with someone else because she expected everyone to follow one‘s thought.

Remember that we live in the country where we have our diversities and have much different opinion as per freedom speech. I can share with you with one of my favourite hobby, an art. I went to art gallery once in while, I saw many different arts posted there. I must admit that I hate 95 percent of them but I reversed myself and asked myself why do I hate those arts? It is just because I dislike their colors, graphics, and their thoughts.

Ahh speaking of thoughts, I backed myself out and realized that I need to respect those artists for their desire putting something on a white and blank piece of paper or cloth. All artists are not the same. Some use their expression, some use observation from anything, some use emotional. Those arts are supposed to make people guessing something and determine why they are putting their own ideas on this sheet of paper or clothes.

That is where I learned and understand that everybody has their own different opinions but that is not what I saw in those big D or extremist. I will permit if they felt that they are activism instead of extremist. Still -ism or -ist are considering the same. I usually do not permit anything related to this in my dictionary because they are vague to our own eyes and cause too much misunderstood.

It is okay if you feel that you should think differently. I have no problem with that but to fire back or personal attacks won’t solve anything that will always led into dividing or power in the rank. I watched how well they behave in debating show. I understand that those men/women who think so much different but they get along during this debate. This is the purpose for the people out there to decide what it is best for them not by forcing them to follow.

From what I had observed, we are on the path to destruction.  I have a deaf parent; I asked them how they felt from being deafness in old days. They admitted that they never thought about it. This world in old days was doing just fine. Everybody respected one others and the world understood how we deaf people were living until…. deaf hood came or until extremists or activism came. It was coined in 2000 and now it is on its path to destruction. I used to pride being deafness I would tend teasing my hearing friend that I have many advantage for being deafness, for instance, sleep well, or loudly nagging from wife.

I knew several couples who have deaf children. They realized that it was so much angry and miserable world in our culture. I must admit that I am no longer pride being deafness now because of what they had acted.  I tried to convince one of family. They tried to send her child to deaf school but within two years, this frustrated parent decided to take their child out and send her for mainstream. I, later, discovered that those extremist are pushing them off the cliff. It is considered very embarrassed for me because I encouraged them for the better but actually it is worsen for them. I refused to encourage any parents with deaf children into anything again.

Speaking of cliff, now those extremist or activism and their behaviours are enough to push parents of deaf children off over the cliff. They thought they would get away with but instead of in this abyss, there are many services and opportunities for those deaf children as if to “FIX” them. Those parents of deaf children are no longer interest to send their child to deaf school or learn ASL because of their angry culture.

May I ask you an extremist or an activism, supposedly if you are at other side? What would you observe? I observed that it is on its path to destruction.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. Numerous good points made here. You are right. These extremists are on path of self destruction. No question about it. I used to try and promote values that were important to me, such as deaf schools and sign language but I no longer promote it for all the same reasons you laid out. For the past several years I've been observing some of the recent legislative bills in the United States. Many of these bills would have helped us but yet the extremists big "D" people demonstrated their inability to understand what these bills really meant or what it'd really do. Because they didn't seem to understand they'd go in and blow things out of proportion, making these bills bigger than they really are. End result? The policy makers are witnessing intelligence deficit in these big D leaders. Worse yet, these big D leaders recruited conformists deaf people who could not read too well and put them in a long line and told them how to protest. These people obeyed the orders because they didn't know any better. They trusted their leaders. This is devastating for our community especially when they demonstrated this embarrassing trends on legislative floors. So, in essence, you are right. The more policy makers see this the more they will become convinced that deaf education has failed these people. End result? They will come down to a final conclusion on deaf schools and close them down like it's already happening. We need to be smarter than that. The deafhood folks keep shooting themselves in the foot so what make them think that the society is going to trust them with a gun? Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad that everyone with a hearing loss has to take sides against each other.. I wonder what mainstream really thinks of the persistent in-fighting ? Is it a bird ? Is it a plane ? it is deafhood or the emperor's new clothes we aren't sure. We have a good idea in that they are seeing deaf schools as hot beds of activism and not educational establishments and failing consistently to prime deaf for adulthood or in effective communication means. Result, they leave their cosseted school areas and fall at the first hurdle unable to cope with a hearing world outside, so who do they blame ? Hearing of course who set up their deaf schools, so what do they do ? they ask for MORE of them, and less ability taught to interact with hearing as this is 'against culture'. They can't see how this is driving many further and further away from the equality they seek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barry,

    Thanks for your insight. Yes, it was a huge ripple effect. I, often, wonder how would they understand the bills if they are inability to read. Obviously, It is all about guessing game, they had missed several good opportunities there. I agreed with you, it is like giving hand guns to those recruits without training them how to shoot. Best luck to them and hoping that they have a good medicine insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MM,

    Thank you for your comment here, yes, for them, it is all about hearing, hearing and hearing. Didnt they forgot that those hearing provided so much supports since many years including TTY, closed captions, and interpreter service and now VRS and more better service. What more do they want? It is seems to that they are terrified that this system would cut off from that convert them into angry people and demand more. Their strategy is obviously failing. If it is failing therefore they should have gone for better strategy than this.

    ReplyDelete